Subject: Re: new snapshot: Newbie QOTD
To: Anthony Helm <kajiai@msua.ac.jp>
From: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/2000 00:16:14
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Anthony Helm wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a snapshot and how can I
> (should I) use it.

It's an unofficial build of the current development sources
(NetBSD-current).  See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/ for
information on NetBSD-current.

Normally, NetBSD-current is available as source only.  From time to time,
someone will build the current sources and make a snapshot.  You can
install the snapshot build just as you would an official release.

> Correctly or incorrectly, my current understanding is that the
> snapshot is the current kernel image (a work in progress).

It's more than just the kernel -- it's the whole NetBSD system.

> Who is it best recommended for and what can it offer?

It's recommended for anyone who wants to run the latest source.  There are
lots of reasons you might want to do so, but getting the most stable
system isn't one of them.  Unless NetBSD-current has something you
absolutely need, or if you're interested in watching the system as it
develops (and patiently suffering new exciting bugs), you're most likely
better off staying with an official release.
--
Tod McQuillin