Subject: Re: Nubus 101
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@clank.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/2000 21:58:45
On 26 Jun 2000, Hauke Fath wrote:

> I can see two ways from here:
>
> 1) Attach a "dockbus" to nubus (the docks I have seen map to nubus slot E).
> Then, attach whatever the dock contains (SCC, SWIM II, 53c80, SONIC, video]
> to dockbus.
>
> 2) have the nubus attach code activate all it finds in a nubus slot instead
> of grabbing the first known device as it appears to happen now.
>
> I like 2) better. If we attach the dock itself (see the resource above) we
> can trigger a probe for all the devices that may be in the dock but are not
> listed in the ROM: SWIM II, 53c80, SCC, sound controller.

I actually prefer (1) better, using the name "duodock".  There is nothing
that prevents us from doing a probe of the sort you mention in (2), given
that we're using bus_space(9) in several of these drivers already.  It
should be fairly easy to implement with the hardware in hand.  (I've
wanted a Duo with the various docks to play with for some time now...)

--scott