Subject: Re: Centris 610 and 68LC040 Processor
To: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/2000 10:49:05
On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Daniel Knight wrote:

> >I was given a Centris 610 yesterday and upon opening it up, I see the
> >processor is an LC040 which means instant problems.
> >
> >So I went to Motorola's website to learn more about the situation and got
> >to thinking, since I have to update the processor, can I stick a 68060 in
> >the machine and get 75MHz out of it?  Yes?  No?
>
> No, but if you want more performance at a price, look into the Sonnet
> QuadDoubler, which will give you a 40 MHz 68040 for US$249.
>
> Of course, you could probably find a stripped 840av for that price....

Dude, you can find a stripped quadra for $20-30 on eBay.  Or if you don't
mind checking the papers locally, you can find better deals.  I got one at
a local auction in Tennessee for $12, incl. monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
:-)

Oh, and I think I've seen 68040 chips on eBay on occasion, too.  I recall
them going for about $10-12, but that's from memory....

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.