Subject: Re: GENERIC questions
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@clank.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/2000 09:08:53
On 6/24/00 5:20 PM, Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> wrote:

> At 11:42 PM 6/24/2000 +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:

>> GENERIC has all the (working) features that are available. You are
>> expected to configure and build a kernel that contains exactly the
>> features you need.
>
> Not true.  GENERIC has all or most of the device, but it shouldn't
> have all the kernel options.  It should have the most widely used
> ones.

The GENERIC config has ISO and EON because I say it does.  Note, however,
that the mac68k port does not differ significantly in this respect from
several other ports[*].  Clearly not everyone holds the same interpretation
of what the GENERIC kernel should contain.

Hauke is definitely right about one thing:  if you are offended by the size
of the GENERIC kernel, you are expected to compile your own kernel with the
options and device support desired.

--scott

[*] arc, arm32, i386, mac68k, pmax, sparc, and sparc64 all have ISO enabled.