Subject: Re: A newbies questions
To: Pete Lancashire <petel@pdxeng.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/2000 23:41:02
> > Can I do a remote install similar to Solaris/AIX/RedHat via FTP
> > or NFS or ?
> Save for a 10 Meg mac partition (for booting) the rest of my Centris 650's
> drive is devoted to 'bsd. Here's what I did:
> Put all the .tgz files for installation, and the installer on another
> machine. Turn on file sharing, and mount the drive on your target machine.
> run the installer from there. This saves you having to devote a large
> portion of the drive to store the .tgz files, just for installation.

There is also another alternative.  The experimental RAMDISK
kernel-based installation--for that, you'll need enough space
to store the booter and the kernel on the MacOS partition.

This is probably not as well-documented as the installer method,
but it may be more comfortable if you're comfortable with other
Unix-like installs.

Does anyone know what the current status of this installation
method is?

-allen