Subject: Re: Centris 610 and 68LC040 Processor
To: James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/2000 15:07:52
At 2:53 PM -0500 6/25/2000, James Howard wrote:
[...]
>So I went to Motorola's website to learn more about the situation and got
>to thinking, since I have to update the processor, can I stick a 68060 in
>the machine and get 75MHz out of it?  Yes?  No?

No. Neither the Mac ROM nor the MacOS was ever designed to handle a 68060,
you wouldn't be able to boot at all. You could probably do it if you
designed an accelerator board (or hacked to death an existing one?) that
either only activated after a driver ran that patched the MacOS to not go
insane, or only activated once you started into the kernel, but that would
be a whole lot more trouble than it would be worth. You'd be much better
off getting a PPC upgrade board and reverse engineering it to work with
some of the PPC *nix'en.

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler       Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire     nicoya@apia.dhs.org