Subject: Re: What next?
To: Anthony Helm <kajiai@msua.ac.jp>
From: Richard UNGER <runger@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/2000 05:24:39
Hi,

As for the kernel recompilation, one reason to do it might be to remove
support for any devices you don't have, disable glue-code/bug-fixes for
bugs you don't have, in short customize the kernel for your machine. Other
than that, unless you want to add a feature the kernel does not have,
there's not much reason to recompile.
For the www stuff, install a server (apache?) and serve some pages! While
your at it, why not beef up security, and install ssh and sshd, and
disable telnet, rlogin and other insecure ports (perhaps you could even
shut down inetd!!).
As for the windowmanagers, Enlightenment is neat, but slow and resource
hungry... KDE I do not like: It looks too much like windows, and there is
a suspicious licencing issue with it, hard-core opensourcers should shun
it. Afterstep may be the best choice on a 68k class machine, it's
functional, clean, and can be customized (start with the 'wharf').

Just my 2c,

Richie