Subject: Re: ffs conversion problem
To: Nathan Raymond , Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/2000 22:54:55
Maybe you could make two root partions with mkfs (or one root and one root & usr)
Then you could install a minimum BSD to one of the root partions.

Then you boot that and do the work that you have to do on the other partitions
ie: "newfs /dev/sd0g"  and "fsck_ffs -c3 /dev/sd0g "

Then either use ftp or cpin to get the other sets over on there.

Warning:  Once you make the file system a type 3, you can't use cpin to put
something on that partion.

Then you need to untar the sets to the new type 3 partitions.  This was tricky for
me.  I mounted  my future "/" on a directory called spare.  Because you can't
have two "/" partions.  Then i made a directory called usr in the spare directory
and i mounted my future usr partition in there.

  Then I did "cd /spare; tar --unlink -zxvpf /path/to/bsd/sets"

On my first attempt at this I forgot about the /dev/ directory.  You'll have to
tar that up yourself and untar it onto the soon to be "/" directory.

When that's done you need to edit the /etc/fstab file to reflect your
desired file system layout.  So in my example the partition that i mounted
on /spare, will be mounted on / on the next boot.

So then you shutdown and boot up MacOS and set the booter to boot from
your new / partion.

Next boot.  And now you can do newfs on the old root partion that you booted
from the first time.  After that you can convert it to the same type of
file system as the other partions.

  This worked for me.  But I have two drives.  I'm assuming you could do
it on one drive also.

Does anyone know a reason why this couldn't be done
with just one hard drive??