Subject: Re: LC475 with Applie LC card (SONIC)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Hiroyuki SATO <g4lc@holsten.mech.hirosaki-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/2000 01:54:49
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:06:36 -0500 (CDT), Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote;
>OK. So you're trying to build a kernel from current (1.4ZB) sources
>with a 1.4.2 toolchain. I believe this is possible, if you first
>update "lex", "yacc", "make", "mkdep" and then "make install" in
>/usr/src/share/mk (and "config", of course.)

Thanks for information, Freederick.  But it is too heavy for my system.
I have only 160MB-HD, while updating "lex", "yacc" and so on require large
spaces on a disk.

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:06:36 -0500 (CDT), Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote;
>Have you tried kernels from a current snapshot?
>
><ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/current-20000506/binary/kernel/>
>
>You will need to make the wscons devices, as I explained previously.
>This applies to any current kernel.

and

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:46:41 -0700, Tom Jernigan <jernigantc@ornl.gov> wrote;
>I had a similar problem with the slotman kernels. The boot would seem
>to fail when it got to setting tty flags. However, I found I could
>telnet into the machine. The solution was to boot into single user
>mode, mount the file system with mount -a, use MAKEDEV to set up a
>ttyE0 device. This might get you running.
>Tom

Thanks for info, Tom.
I tried the snapshot, but failed.  Just after the boot sequence is detached
from Booter on MacOS, my system freezes.  I got no message from NetBSD.
I'm not sure whether it caused from tty devices.

The situation of mine is as follows, and I got my kernel on 1.4.1 binary sets and
sources with Ishizaka's patch available on
"http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/ishizaka/patch-eth-lc.gz".
It works fine, at last.

System:
 MAC LC475 with replaced 68040 running 25MHz with LC Ehternet card.
 "Tattletech" reports LC card as follows;
 ・瘢雹 Nubus/PDS Slot# = $0E
    Board Name = Macintosh LC Ethernet Adapter
    Board ID = 46
    Vendor ID = Copyright (C) 1990-92 Apple Computer, Inc.
            All Rights Reserved.
    Revision Level = ROM revision 1.1
    Part# = 341-0470
    Functional Resources :
      + Device sResource Name = ENET
         - Device Category = 4  (Network)
         - Device Type = 1  (EtherTalk)
         - Device Software Interface Type = 1
         - Device Hardware Type = 271
         - Device sResource# = $81
         - Driver Number = -50
  NetBSD : 1.4.1 based binary sets and sources

Situation:
 (1) As NetBSD boot, LC card is detected wrong as "ae", while it should be "sn".
 (2) GENERIC kernels including "current-snapshot" fails, as (1).
 (3) Kernels build with sources of 1.4.1, without definition of "ae" in configuration,
  boot on LC475 with LC card.  LC card is detected as "sn0", however, a recognized MAC
  address is wrong.  After shell prompt comes, "ifconfig" fails and system freezes.
 (4) Without "ae" definition and with source patch of Ishizaka's, available on
   "http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/ishizaka/patch-eth-lc.gz", bootable kernel is built on
    1.4.1 system on LC475.  This kernel looks OK, and "ipconfig" works fine, also.
 (5) With "ae" definition in configuration and with source patch of Ishizaka's, build
    kernel doesn't boot on my LC475.  The kernel is available on
   "http://www.sam.hi-ho.ne.jp/ishizaka/netbsd-etherLC.tar.gz"

Current Solution:
  Build kernel without "ae" definition with source patch of Ishizaka's.

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:06:36 -0500 (CDT), Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote;
>> I hope the situations are considered for the next source set release.
>
>Not likely, unless you file a bug report. ;-)
>
>Please realize that there are presently 2 active code branches, so
>even if all the problems with the "sn" device are fixed in current
>(presently at 1.4ZB), the fixes may not go into 1.4.3 unless you file
>a problem report against 1.4.2.

Although it is a report against 1.4.1, the situation is described above.
Where shall I file and submit the situation to?  Are there required formats?
I'm going to try the same procedure on 1.4.2, but takes days due to the
power of 25MHz. :-)

Thanks for kind cooperation,

--
Hiroyuki SATO