Subject: Re: Serial Port problems Qudra 650
To: brendan burns <bburns@wso.williams.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/2000 19:48:43
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, brendan burns wrote:

> One other this is I ran MAKEDEV in the /dev directory after I copied
> everything over, that should work right?

Ahh... you're the guy who copied the whole system without preserving
the permissions. "pppd" is supposed to be suid root. Does it run OK if
you're logged in as root? If so, you can fix it by running, as root
"chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd".

> and if cu can talk to the modem,
> there's no reason to suspect that chat shouldn't be able to right?  could
> there be a permissions problem somewhere?

It depends. If you're running both as root, it shouldn't matter. It could
be that a process exited abnormally at some time, leaving an advisory lock
on /dev/tty00. (pppd checks -- cu is too stupid to care.) In that case,
you can delete the device file and remake it, or just reboot.