Subject: Re: IIcx SIMM configuration
To: Edvard Lauman <elauman@interlynx.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/2000 16:41:22
At 8:48 AM -0400 5/31/00, Edvard Lauman wrote:
>I have a IIx and it doesn't go beyond 4MB SIMMs unless they're PAL-SIMMs
>(there's problems w/ the memory control circuitry on the main board of a II
>or IIx (same board), so they require a ninth chip on the SIMMs - the PAL
>chip to fix this problem.) Also, I know the order that you put your SIMMs in
>makes a difference. The IIx has two banks w/ 4 slots each. I know that if
>you have one bank with small size SIMMs, say one bank of 4MB and one bank of
>1MB, the bank that they're in seems to matter - I can't remember which bank
>requires the smaller SIMMs, but I think I found that info on the web. I know
>all this info is for the IIx, but it may relate to the IIcx (similar
>boards). Ed

I thought that PAL problem was fixed between the II and the IIx (it
was for 4MB simms), but maybe there was a similar issue w.r.t. the
16MB simms later?

The IIcx was originally sold as supporting 128MB RAM and the
class-action law suit on the subject is why Connectix' MODE 32 was
bought by Apple and is now free.  Generally it's more similar to the
IIx than to the IIci, which also could support parity memory.