Subject: Re: using tcsh as default root shell
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/2000 18:57:06
What've you all suddenly got against the Bourne shell? It's still the
default, no?

I agree with what's already been said (root's shell needs to be
statically linked, which /bin/sh and /bin/csh are, and needs to be
small, which neither bash nor tcsh even pretend to be... and we won't
even discuss zsh, though I use it for my own user accounts), and I
have one and a half more points to offer.

I work in several systems with a multitude of admins. All of these
systems have the historically-standard Bourne shell as root's shell.
This is a good thing, as no one is confused, and everyone can start
their own favorite shell on top of it if they feel like it. They can
exec it, for all we care.

Switching to tcsh and bash, we might as well just sym link sh and csh
to them, as Linux does. Hell, we could even ln -s /usr/local to /opt!

Big, fast IA32 machines might be absurdly over-powered enough that
they will always have enough memory for a statically-linked bash.
Little, old 68ks, let alone the various MIPS processors NetBSD
supports, aren't.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net