Subject: Re: /usr/share/doc?? and Printing to a network printer
To: cruller <cruller@kc.rr.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/2000 21:03:32
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, cruller wrote:

> #gs tmac.ps
>
> results in an error not being able to open an X display then pukes code.
> I'm sure I just need to read the ghostscript man pages for more info.

That's funny, because... The X11 drivers were pulled out of the
ghostscript5 package. You currently have to install ghostscript5-x11
to get the above to work. This is now widely recognized as a bad idea,
and the new ghostscript == ghostscript-6.1 package is supposed to have
all the drivers.

Imagemagick also views postscript, but it seems to do only the first
page.

Even the disabled ghostscript should have ps2ascii. If you just want
to read the text, an even better way is to tell groff to use ascii in
the first place. E.g. "cd /usr/share/doc/smm/07.lpd; make -n" gives

soelim -I/usr/share/doc/smm/07.lpd 0.t 1.t 2.t 3.t 4.t 5.t 6.t 7.t |
tbl | groff -M/usr/share/tmac -ms  > paper.ps

so you can simply type...

soelim *.t | tbl | groff -Tascii -ms | less

as including the current directory is unecessary, and /usr/share/tmac
is in the default path for macros. Actually, this works too, plus it's
more general:

eval `grog -Tascii *.t` | less