Subject: Problems with wscons and ergo keyboard
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Brown <scbrown@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/2000 12:03:59
Hi,

I have an Adesso ergonomic keyboard which has worked quite well up
until now, but with the latest version of current(NetBSD 1.4X) it
doesn't work at all.  On previous versions of NetBSD, my adb devices
were recognized as follows:
Mar 26 11:20:30 alchemy /netbsd: NetBSD 1.4T (GENERIC) #0: Sat Feb 26
20:57:52 PS
T 2000
<snip>
Mar 26 11:20:35 alchemy /netbsd: adb0 (direct, II series): 3 targets
Mar 26 11:20:35 alchemy /netbsd: aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
Mar 26 11:20:35 alchemy /netbsd: akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: mapped device
(128)
Mar 26 11:20:35 alchemy /netbsd: wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard,
using wsdispl
ay0
Mar 26 11:20:35 alchemy /netbsd: ams0 at adb0 addr 3: Mouse Systems A3
mouse, 3-b
utton, 300 dpi
Mar 26 11:20:36 alchemy /netbsd: wsmouse0 at ams0
Mar 26 11:20:36 alchemy /netbsd: akbd1 at adb0 addr 2: extended keyboard

Mar 26 11:20:36 alchemy /netbsd: wskbd at akbd1 not configured

In retrospect, this seems odd, as it sees three targets when I only have
two things
hooked up(the ergo keyboard and a mouse systems A3 mouse).  But, things
were
working, even so.

On the latest version of current, I get a panic during boot complaining
about the
fictional second keyboard, wskbd1.  It even tells me what line it is
failing at,
line 405 of /usr/src/sys/dev/wscons/wskbd.c, which reads as follows:

    KASSERT(wskbd_console_device == NULL);

It loooks to me like it is trying to attach the second fictional
keyboard, but it finds
that there is already a "wskbd_console_device" defined and panics.  Not
good.

This is when booting from a powered-down state.  When I do a "warm" boot

(i.e. press the reset button or do a "shutdown -r now" from a functional

kernel), the keyboard doesn't even show up, just the mouse:

    adb0 (direct, II series): 1 target
    aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
    ams0 at adb0 addr 3: Mouse Systems A3 mouse, 3-button, 300 dpi
    wsmouse0 at ams0

But, at least in that case it continues to boot and I can telnet in from
a remote
system and debug things.

I guess I'll try to hook up a serial console this weekend and grab the
dmesg
and send-pr it.  If anyone has advice or things to try, let me know...

I'll probably also try different combinations of keyboards and mice and
see
what is creating the second, imaginary keyboard(i.e. is it the ergo
keyboard
or the A3 mouse).

Steve