Subject: Re: ADSL modems
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/2000 14:51:16
At 8:17 AM -0700 4/26/00, Guy Santiglia wrote:
>Is anybody working on a pppoe solution that will run as part of the kernel?
>There is also that mouse-pppoe package.  But there is not much
>documentation about that.
>
>Is anyone using that mouse-pppoe?  Right now I'm using a windows 98
>second edition
>machine as gateway to my home network, but I'd like to get away from that.

Der Mouse's package runs in userland.  It copies all packets in/out
of kernel space twice instead of once, and I think there is some
encapsulation that gets done/undone/redone as well.  It reportedly
worked at one time for him on NetBSD before he switched to a provider
that did not use PPPoE.  It may depend on -current of the time though.