Subject: Re: installer/filesystem incompatibility?
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/2000 20:22:41
On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> I was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the disk, so i booted off
> another NetBSD partition, newfs'ed and installed tarballs with tar, and
> this process worked fine, with no signs of errors. I booted off this drive,
> and everything seems to be working perfectly normally.  The / still showed
> up as not valid when i launched the installer program.

Oops. You can't use newfs to make file systems the installer will use. You
have to use "newfs -O".

From man newfs:

     -O          Creates a 4.3BSD format filesystem.  This options is primari-
                 ly used to build root filesystems that can be understood by
                 older boot ROMs.

The installer (and booter) both only understand the older format.

Take care,

Bill