Subject: installer/filesystem incompatibility?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/2000 14:04:10
Hello,

I recently acquired a Quantum 1280MB disk for my netbsd system.  It formats
and has no disk errors, and Mkfs works fine on it, but when i try to unpack
tarballs using the macos-side installer, i get alternating SCSIRead() and
SCSIWrite() errors after some time, and no more of the package can be
installed.  I can't even browse the / of the drive using the miniroot
functionality in the installer program, because the disk information isn't
valid (or some error like that).

I was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the disk, so i booted off
another NetBSD partition, newfs'ed and installed tarballs with tar, and
this process worked fine, with no signs of errors. I booted off this drive,
and everything seems to be working perfectly normally.  The / still showed
up as not valid when i launched the installer program.

The installer I used was the latest as of a few weeks ago - 1.1g.

Other information: quadra700, 20MB ram, and 1.4.2 generic kernel, non-SBC.
I also formatted this drive as 40MB swap, a huge NetBSD root&usr, and the
last 40MB or so for MacOS.

Is this a known problem, or have I overlooked something?

Thanks,

  - a