Subject: routing help
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2000 21:54:23
Hi,

I have a netBSD box connected to two subnets (A -primary & B-secondary) through
a single NIC (using aliases). Each subnet has its own router to get to the
internet. Each router will only route traffic with a source address within its
subnet (ingress filter).

I am having trouble when I connect to the box from the outside world through the
alias ip (insead of the real ip). Traffic going to that ip (on subnet B) come in
ok, but response packets try to go to the default route (gateway on subnet A).
The gateway router on A respond with a host unreachable when the packets are
filtered. The packets ARE coming from the ip address on subnet B, but are trying
to leave through the gateway on subnet A.

Any ideas on how to make this work? Is there some protocol for routing based on
source address? I can't seem to get gateway A (Portmaster 2) to reply with a
redirect message. I thought that might work, but can't figure out how. Any
ideas?

Thanks!

Joseph Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging