Subject: Re: X window
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/2000 11:38:29
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:58:45AM -0500, Jim Watson wrote:
> > When I startx I get a Login screen and 2 Xterm screens.  Why am I
> > getting so many screens
>
> Erm... you mean you get xdm *and* xterms? That's queer... You ought to
> get the former and then the latter. And that only with xinit. Really,
> you should only get the xterms.

i think that one of the default windows that comes up is named login or
something like that (as it is a login shell, not just a standard shell).
regardless, .xinitrc is the file to edit.

> > also
> > the middle and right buttons on my 3 button mouse do not work. nether do
> > the option right/left arrows...
> >
> > Anybody got an idea whats wrong...
>
> Yep, you aren't using one of (the one?) 3-button mouse mac68k
> supports. I don't remember which one (Logitech something or other?).
> Check the web page's supported hardware section.

there should be at least 4 or so different mice supported.  we also
support any mice that use apple's extended mouse protocol (which really
should be all of them since it's relatively easy to implement, but i guess
some mouse manufacturers are just weird...)

what kind of mouse is it?

> Option-left/right arrows is a wierdo MacX thing that (Mk)Linux(PPC)
> decided to go along with. We use opt-1 for first button, opt-2 for
> second button, and opt-3 for third button.

ummmm....this damn well better work under mac68k or we're broken.  the
opt-1,2,3 thing was just a hack for people with standard keyboards where
it's difficult to actually reach both the option and arrow keys at the
same time while keeping one hand on the mouse.  it should work as well,
but i think there's a kernel option to turn it off (ISTR that there were
some rather critical international symbols tied to opt-1,2,3 that were
getting screwed by our mouse arrangement...)

later.

colin