Subject: starting from scratch
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Timberwoof <mroeder@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/2000 21:26:48
Howdy, folks!

I think I know the source of problem I was having ... When I started, I
went to the NetBSD site and downloaded the very first appropriate-looking
thing I found, namely the archives at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/. This contains all
kinds of nice *.tar.gz files that BSD/Mac68k Installer is perfectly happy
with. Installation went very smoothly until I came to the init problem I
described earlier. Dave Huang has been helping me out, giving me stuff to
check. It turns out that I got the wrong archive to start with; 1.4.4 isn't
quite ready for prime time.

So I downloaded the files for the official 1.4.2 release ... and they're
all *.gz files, and BSD/Mac68k Installer doesn't know what to do with them.
It gives me some cryptic instructions about how to install them. The
problem is, I don't have a working BSD system. Until I get either 1.4.2
installed or the init problem solved, I'm dead in the water. :-(

So how do I install 1.4.2 from scratch? (Where are the "real" instructions?)

--
Michael "Timberwoof" Roeder, Ice Hockey QA Engineer
mroeder@infernosoft.com -- http://www.infernosoft.com