Subject: Re: hanging while booting first time into NetBSD GENERIC-24
To: Jann Linder <jann@jann.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/2000 15:40:34
>I am attempting to install NetBSD onto a [DONT LAUGH]  PowerBook 520
>36MB/500MB hard drive.
>
>I have run the installer and installed base.tgz and
>netbsd.GENERIC--24.tar.gz using NetBSD/Mac68K installer.  SINCE there is no
>instructions on WHAT else to install, This is all I have done.

Which version?  NetBSD-1.4, 1.4.1, 1.4.2, or a -current snapshot?  Did
you try a GENERICSBC kernel?

>My Hard drive is at SCSI0 /dev/sda
>My Mac Partition info takes /dev/sda0-7 (with the actual HFS partition on
>/dev/sda7 and my root partition for BSD on /dev/sda8 and swap on /dev/sda9)

/dev/sda7 for root and /dev/sda9 for swap?  Are you sure you're running
NetBSD?  That's not the naming convention NetBSD uses (or was using).

>Anyone got any idea why I am receiving this after getting the normal BSD
>screen full of info?
>
>scsibus0:  waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle
>
>The system then LOCKS!

Try the GENERICSBC kernel.  The ROM Sniffer info isn't really important
since both the GENERIC and GENERICSBC kernels are using the HWDIRECT code
nowdays.  If you were running an MRG kernel the ROM Sniffer info would
have been used.

-bob

p.s. The "rnestor@metronet.com" address is no longer valid and your
e-mail to it probably bounced.