Subject: install problems work around
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/2000 09:43:38
  I installed BSD for the first time about two years ago.  And it always seemed
like my disk was filling up to fast.  I finally found out how to get around this.

 I have an external 2 gig  samsung
hard drive and an internal drive that came with the quadra.  I was having
trouble intalling the sets on the external drive.  I would get errors
when the installer was installing the base.tgz package.  Some message like
this:
scsi #5 .... (I forget exactly).
But I read the faq and it said about this problem.  So I cpin'd the rest
of the sets and  then booted the partialy installed system and untarred the sets
from within the running system.  But I found that my 700 meg usr partition
was about 60 percent full when I was finished.  I thought, this cant't be
right, because I just installed BSD on a i386 box and it didn't take up nearly
as much space.  I think the mkfs on the mac side was messing up the file system
on my external drive.

  Here's what I did to get the install right.
I split the internel drive and made a 133 meg BSD root partion and an
800 meg /usr and 500 meg /spare on the external.
Used the installer to install etc.tgz, kern.tgz and base.tgz.  The base.tgz
only partially installed.  It crapped out halfway through as usual.
Then I cpin'd the remaining sets to the /spare partion.
and booted the BSD system

I copied the tar and gunzip commands to the spare partion.
Then I blasted the /usr partition with "newfs /dev/sd1g"
and I used the tar on the /spare directory to untar the sets into
the fresh /usr partion.  It seems to have worked.  The df command now
shows that the installation took up a lot less space on the /usr
partion.

 That's my story