Subject: RE: IIsi and internal scsi devices
To: None <paul@wakawaka.com>
From: None <sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/2000 14:16:08
Hi Paul,

  sorry for the delay of my answer...

>What were the symptoms of the failure before you installed the jumper?
>I have several drives that are sworn to be good, but don't spin up until
>I run Disk Drive Toolkit and it does its initial scan of the SCSI bus.
>
>If my problem differs from yours, do you have any other suggestions for
>getting them to spin up when power is applied? I've already done all the
>termination and SCSI ID tricks, following the manufacturer's suggestions.
>
>--- Forwarded mail from sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch
>
>>I'm trying to install netbsd on a IIsi. It's currently got a 40MB hd, so I
>>tried to swap it out with a 2.0GB hd. But, for some reason, the IIsi
>>wouldn't recognize it. The scsi id is the same, do i need to mess with
>>any other of the terminiation/id settings on the drive?
>
> Beside the termination and unique id topics mentioned by others on=3D20
>the list, I've got one more!
>
> As I, more than.. huh.. 5years ago, upgraded my IIsi's HD from Apple's=3D=
20
>40MB to a then wicked fast and modern IBM 540MB harddrive, I had to
>deactivate the "target initiated transfer negotiation" on the drive by mea=
n=3D
>s=3D20
>of a jumper.
> This may apply for other oldie-goldie Macs too when equipping them
>with newer hds.
>
>--- End of forwarded message from sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch

  I use LaCis's Silverlining to partition/initialize non-Apple HDs.
  With that half-gig IBM drive and TITN enabled, the symptoms were
that Silverlining crashed while trying to initialize the volumes.
  (think this MacOS-speak might map to newfs in *x-speak)

  IIRC it was possible to set up the partitions, but when "longer drive
activity" set in - initializing the voumes - the whole app/system froze.

  When you get this with a brand new HD, you get the illusion of
watching the smoke with your ears...   ;-)

  - -

  Your problem seems to be that your HDs don't "spin on power up"=20
even if you set the according jumper.

  I've seen peripherals that have more configuration options in their
firmware than jumpers. To reach these options you need some=20
configuration software which can talk to the peripheral and manipulate
these options (e.g. on some SCSI HDs you can set SCSI#ID and/or=20
turn on/off by sofware and so override jumper settings!)

  Check with the manufacturers of the HDs if they can provide you
a software capable of such.

have a nice day
Stephan