Subject: Re: Installing (pkg_add)
To: Jim Watson <jwinter@ticnet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2000 16:02:04
Jim Watson wrote:
> In the installation documentation there  is NO prohibition about
> installing packages, in fact a person reading the documentation would be
> led to believe that it is possible to accomplish that very thing
> especially if one is a newbie and a point and click person.

the installation docs have been around a little longer than the package
system.  this is part of the reason why.  the main reason why is that the
installer was written a long time ago to install the distribution sets.
it didn't have any clue about the package system.  in all reality, it
never will.

we are trying to move towards a more BSD-based install using sysinst.
once this gets firmed up, perhaps we can install the whole system as a
group of packages (this seems to be the desire, anyway).  unfortunately,
the mac68k disk partitioning support isn't quite 100% yet (even tho
several of us have hacked on it extensively ;-)

> I now understand the process:  pkg_add must be used to install packages
> from the CDrom, downloaded packages or ftd package installs.

yup.

> The installer 1.1g is to be used to install: base, comp, etc, games,
> man, misc, text, xbase, xcomp, xconfig, xfont & xserver....

yup.

> Now with all that said and the packages and there dependencies installed
> with pkg_add ,  Stylewriter still will not print because it can't find
> the file linXt.so.6.0.  the specific error message was
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: gs: libXt.so.6.0  no file or directory.....
>
> I am thinking that this file is missing from Ghostscripts........

are you absolutely sure that you've installed the xbase package?
generally, libraries with 'X' in the name live in /usr/X11R6/lib.  is
the library there?  if so, take a look at /etc/ld.so.conf.  does it
contain '/usr/X11R6/lib'?  if not, add it and run 'ldconfig' as root.  if
it does have that line, well, i'm out of suggestions at that point...

-colin