Subject: powerbook520c w/o FPU
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Sakagami Hitoshi <sakagami@comp.eng.himeji-tech.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2000 13:54:17
Hi, I'm newcomer for this community.

I'm going to install NetBSD into powerbook520c w/o FPU.

First, I checked that my 68LC040 was not a buggy CPU, running FPU
application with softFPU under Mac OS.
Second, I made partions and installed NetBSD 1.4.2 without any
difficulties.

I kicked the booter, and everything seemed to be good until "root on
sd0a dump on sd0b" message was displayed and process stoped.
I happened to find that "command + power" key drop it to debbuger mode
and scsi was doubtful.
Thay say that if the CPU is '030, GENERICSBC kernel is fine.
I have tried it hopelessly, but it worked !
So I suggest that GENERICSBC kernel may be fine even '040 CPU, and
FAQ should be revised.

But I still have problems.

1) I can not create/modify files in single user mode.
   (NetBSD says that file system is read-only.)
2) too many segment faults even with usually commands, like "ls", "vi",
   which never seem to use FPU.

These are wellknown ??
-----
     /    /   /  __ __/        $BI1O)9)6HBg3X9)3XIt>pJs9)3X2J(B
  _/   _/  _/    _/         sakagami@comp.eng.himeji-tech.ac.jp
http://wwwj2.comp.eng.himeji-tech.ac.jp/home/sakagami/, JALNET:JAL16240