Subject: Re: pppd problems
To: Jim Watson <jwinter@ticnet.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/2000 18:31:24
Jim Watson  (jwinter@ticnet.com) wrote:

>I still don't have any dialog in my /var/log/messages file
>I don't even see the chat dialog & I am connecting (noise stop) the ISP
>has it but pppd is dropping the ball.

You need to make sure you've enabled the messages in /etc/syslog _AND_
forced syslog to restart with a "kill -HUP".

>My /etc/ppp/ppp-up looks just like yours.....

One thing you should verify is your modme and your cable.  Make sure the
modem works on the SE/30 under MacOS with the same cable.  Most old Mac
modme cables didn't support hardware handshake signals, and trying to use
them with NetBSD creates a condition where the system never sees the
modem come "online" after negotiating the call.

-bob