Subject: Re: 68k samba password problem
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Ken Nakata <nakata@sequent.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/2000 17:23:18
Guy Santiglia wrote:

> I'm trying to get samba going on my quadra610 1.4.2.  I can access the shares
> only if I set "security = share" in the smb.conf file.  If I set it to
> "user" then I get "incorrect password" errors on the windows machines.
> I change the windows client machine registry to "EnablePlainTextPassowrd"
> but I still can't connect to my shares.
>   Has anyone had similar problems with samba?

The two samba servers I set up at work don't authenticate users by
themselves, using security = server.  So, I'm not entirely sure what you
are experiencing, but the following excerpt from smb.conf(5) may be
relevant?:

          If your PCs use usernames that are the same as their
          usernames on the UNIX machine then you will want to use
          "security = user". If you mostly use usernames that don't
          exist on the UNIX box then use "security = share".

          There is a bug in WfWg that may affect your decision. When
          in user level security a WfWg client will totally ignore the
          password you type in the "connect drive" dialog box. This
          makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to connect to a
          Samba service as anyone except the user that you are logged
          into WfWg as.

Hope this helps,

Ken