Subject: Re: ppp on a Macintosh SE/30
To: Jim Watson <jwinter@ticnet.com>
From: Roger Fischer <rogerf1@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2000 14:59:36
At 12:46 PM -0800 3/28/00, Jim Watson wrote:
>Has anyone got ppp to work on an SE/30. I mean the ability to dial an
>IPS and enter login & password.. and setup dialog for ftp.....
>
>I can connect, but no dialog. It acts like there is no handshake taking
>place.  then line is drop...
>
>What software is necessary to executes ppp.....

It sounds like your ISP might be using PAP.  It confused me for a while,
until I figured what was going on.

The modem dials the ISP, tones swap, I get a connect, and then garbage
without ever getting a login prompt.

Try removing any login information from your CHAT script and leave the last
line as

'CONNECT' ''

then create a file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets  that contains
<loginname>   *   <password>

Then fire up ppp and see if that helps.
good luck,
- Rog