Subject: Re: FPU Speed increase?
To: None <eclipse@trellis.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/26/2000 14:52:36
Levi Sluder  (eclipse@trellis.net) wrote:

>Does anyone know if adding an FPU to my LC III will increase it's speed
>by much? Right now it's taking over 5 hours to compile ncurses-5.0.
>Also, if any one knows of any good places to find used *cheap* mac stuff
>please let me know. Thanks for all the help...

The FPU might help some, but I doubt that you'll see a significant
improvement in compiler performance.  As for *cheap* mac stuff, it
depends on what you're looking for.  Macs, even the really old ones, are
still worth more than their PeeCee counterparts.  At a computer flea
market sale a few weeks ago I saw complete 486 systems being tossed off
the back of a truck for $20/per, while a used Mac dealer a few feet away
was asking $40 for an SE/30.

Lowend Macs used to have a terrific Web page with URLs to all the used
Mac dealers, but it seems to have disappeared since they were bought out
by Xeosoft.  Maybe someone knows where they hid that page or has a copy
of it someplace.  Here is a copy of my BookMarks that I usually search
for used Mac gear, but some of them may be out-of-date.  Also, don't
forget places like eBay.

http://www.smalldoggy.com
http://www.mediaguide.com
http://recycle.machost.com/recycle/index.html