Subject: Re: Inaccurate NetBSD_ROM Output
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/2000 15:12:06
T@W  (lsp93@xs4all.nl) wrote:

>Bob Nestor wrote:
>>T@W  (lsp93@xs4all.nl) wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>running the NetBSD_ROM utility gives wrong output:
>

>>Yeah, the programmer didn't know very much of anything when he wrote the
>>program and never could figure out how to use the Gestalt crap in MacOS.
>>(Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with my comment since I wrote it.)
>[snip]
>>
>>Hope this helps,
>>-bob
>
>Thanks Bob for pointing that out.
>I downloaded it 'cause i thought it was a new thingy (since i never saw it
>in that directory before)
>Wouldn't it be clearer to put these 'golden' oldies in an separate
>archive-archive ?
>(Just a thought)

That's probably a very good idea.  It would also be nice to reorgnize the
Mkfs, Installer, and Booter applications in much the same way.  I just
tried helping a new user get started and he was convinced that all the
different versions of these applications were to support different model
Macs.  He kept asking where the documentation was that defined which one
he should use for his system.

I'm sure there is a need to keep many of these oldies around just in case
someone has a problem or finds a new use for one of them.  Hauke's use of
the ROM Sniffer is a very good example.

BTW, today I found a really old MacOS Utility that would be a wonderful
addition to our toolkit.  It's called "SCSI Evaluator" and it dumps the
Mode Pages from SCSI devices as well as allowing one to remap bad blocks.
 For those who don't have this capability in their disk formatter or for
those having problems with SCSI disks this can be a very handy utility.

-bob