Subject: Re: Inaccurate NetBSD_ROM Output
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/2000 09:09:17
T@W  (lsp93@xs4all.nl) wrote:

>Hi all,
>running the NetBSD_ROM utility gives wrong output:
>
>>This is a 68k system using a 68040 CPU, 68881 FPU, 68040 MMU
>
>I'm running the LC040 (due to the simple fact that it is very difficult to
>obtain the real maccoy overhere).
>
>[snip]
>  > Internal disk is an IDE, not currently supported by NetBSD/mac68k
>[snip]
>>Basic hardware required for NetBSD/mac68k is present, but the following
>> things might be problems that need to be considered:
>> Internal disk is an IDE, not currently supported by NetBSD/mac68k
>
>This is plainly Not True.  My internal is definitely SCSI.
>Is there a simple explanation?

Yeah, the programmer didn't know very much of anything when he wrote the
program and never could figure out how to use the Gestalt crap in MacOS.
(Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with my comment since I wrote it.)

The ROM Sniffer utility isn't really used much any more.  It was
originally designed to try to find the ROM addresses for the internal
tables used by the MRG code in the kernel.  NetBSD/mac68k doesn't use
this approach in GENERIC kernels any longer and instead uses a direct
hardware approach to dealing with the ADB and such.  The MRG approach was
to attempt to use the Apple routines that were in ROM on the system.
This approach has some problems that weren't easily solved.  Many of the
"newer" 68k Macs use System INITs to patch the ROM code and those patches
aren't available to NetBSD.  In some cases we couldn't determine which
set of ROM routines to use for certain models of Mac, probably because of
the MacOS patches.

So unless you're looking at building a custom kernel that uses the MRG
code the output of the ROM Sniffer is pretty much useless.  The only
other use of the routine would be to try to find other ROM values that
might be used in extending support to cards and devices on the Mac that
we currently don't support.  I think Hauke made some mods to the ROM
Sniffer to try and locate some of the info for the floppy when he was
working on the floppy code for NetBSD. Since then I don't think anyone
has found a real use for the ROM Sniffer.

Hope this helps,
-bob