Subject: Re: 68882 FPU?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <abuse@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/2000 20:44:40
Levi Sluder,
 > Now having the hardware and OCing knowledge I have, I seem to think
 > you can put a higher rated chip in a slower system.

Another option would be to bring the LCIII up to speed with the 68882...
(Note: I've not tried this.  Wanna be the guinea pig? :)

--------
Clockchipping Your LC III

*NOTE* This procedure was copied word for word from an anonymous author from
an anonymous website. Should you choose to clockchip you LC III, the author
and I accept no responsibility for any problems which may arise. You do so at
your own risk.

This is a modification that can be performed on a LCIII (P450) to speed it up
to 33MHz. The author of this file would like to remain anonymous. Keep in mind
that this will void your warranty. Dealers or Apple may refuse to accept the
board as an exchange in or out of warranty with this modification.

You should also keep in mind that the circuits on your LCIII (P450) have not
been tested to guarantee they will work properly at 33MHz, so if it doesn't
work correctly (especially when it gets really warmed-up) just put the
resistor back. In other people's experience it always worked fine, but that is
no guarantee.

1a. Get a copy of the latest version of the system enabler 308 - it's the one
    shipped in the Performa 46x series. Drop this file into the system folder
    on your LCIII (P450). Without this file once you make the following
    modification the system software will refuse to boot up because it won't
    recognize the hardware. The early version of the 308 enabler that shipped
    with the Performa 45x series won't recognize the hardware either.
1b. Or get the new version of System Enabler 003, 1.1 for the LCIII.
1c. Or use system 7.5

2. Remove the chip-resistor in position R14 (0 ohm, jumper). It is located on
   the top of the main logic board near the RAM simm connector. (Since a few
   people have asked about this, you need to remove it with a soldering iron
   (or two) and the part is labeled 000.)

3. Install the chip-resistor you just removed in position R74. It is located
   on the bottom of the main logic board.

--------

Instructions saved from a site sometime last year.  I don't claim to be
the author.

--
Chris Baird,, <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>