Subject: RE: IIsi and internal scsi devices
To: NetBSD mac68k List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Marek Kozubal <marek@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/2000 16:06:38
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Paul Sander wrote:

> If my problem differs from yours, do you have any other suggestions for
> getting them to spin up when power is applied?  I've already done all the
> termination and SCSI ID tricks, following the manufacturer's suggestions.

There is often a jumper on at least some hard drives that will control
spinup at power on and some other things at power on, make sure they are
all set "correctly".  This was an issue for me when I installed a Seagate
(sun branded) drive into a Quadra 650.

Solaris might send SCSI commands to the drives to spin up while MacOS
assumes the drive is already running when it tries to boot from it.

Marek Kozubal                      marek@portents.com
Portents, LLC     www.portents.com http://www.portents.com/marek/
Personal Satellite Tracking System www.merlin.com / www.skyshow.com

            "What makes the universe so hard to understand is that
                    we have nothing to compare it to."