Subject: RE: IIsi and internal scsi devices
To: None <sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/2000 04:53:42
What were the symptoms of the failure before you installed the jumper?
I have several drives that are sworn to be good, but don't spin up until
I run Disk Drive Toolkit and it does its initial scan of the SCSI bus.

If my problem differs from yours, do you have any other suggestions for
getting them to spin up when power is applied?  I've already done all the
termination and SCSI ID tricks, following the manufacturer's suggestions.

--- Forwarded mail from sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch

>I'm trying to install netbsd on a IIsi. It's currently got a 40MB hd, so I
>tried to swap it out with a 2.0GB hd.  But, for some reason, the IIsi
>wouldn't recognize it.  The scsi id is the same, do i need to mess with
>any other of the terminiation/id settings on the drive?

  Beside the termination and unique id topics mentioned by others on=20
the list, I've got one more!

  As I, more than.. huh.. 5years ago, upgraded my IIsi's HD from Apple's=20
40MB to a then wicked fast and modern IBM 540MB harddrive, I had to
deactivate the "target initiated transfer negotiation" on the drive by mean=
s=20
of a jumper.
  This may apply for other oldie-goldie Macs too when equipping them
with newer hds.

--- End of forwarded message from sschwerzmann@dplanet.ch