Subject: Re: IIsi and internal scsi devices
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/2000 12:30:28
>Hello
>
>I'm trying to install netbsd on a IIsi. It's currently got a 40MB hd, so I
>tried to swap it out with a 2.0GB hd.  But, for some reason, the IIsi
>wouldn't recognize it.  The scsi id is the same, do i need to mess with
>any other of the terminiation/id settings on the drive?

Have you tried booting from a floppy and then updating the SCSI
driver using a drive partition application?  You also have to have a
Mac partition on the drive for it to show up on the desktop under
MacOS, but any drive formatting software would be able to find it
even without a Mac partition.  Just launch the program and it will
find all the SCSI drives in the chain.

Note than Apple's HDSC Setup doesn't recognize non-Apple SCSI drives,
but can be easily patched to do so using ResEdit.  There is a link to
the instructions for this on the NetBSD/mac68k site.  I use HDSC
Setup 7.3.5 with good success; it will also set up your partitions
for NetBSD (make sure you move the MacOS partition, if you use one,
to the end of the drive).

If you have the driver updated and a Mac partition installed and you
can't get the partition to mount to the desktop, then you may need to
do something about termination.  You might be able to use an external
terminator or you can set it using the jumpers on the bottom of the
drive itself.  The manufacturer's Web site ought to have instructions
for the jumper configuration to set the SCSI address.

Good luck!