Subject: Re: IIsi and internal scsi devices
To: John David Garza <garza@cjas.org>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/2000 12:36:22
John David Garza wrote:

>I'm trying to install netbsd on a IIsi. It's currently got a 40MB hd, so I
>tried to swap it out with a 2.0GB hd.  But, for some reason, the IIsi
>wouldn't recognize it.  The scsi id is the same, do i need to mess with
>any other of the terminiation/id settings on the drive?

You don't mention the manufacturer of the disk. There are two things
that have to be correct for the SCSI chain to work:
1) Termination
2) SCSI ID

As far as Termination is concerned, many if not most manufacturers
nowadays include termination on board their control board, activated
by a jumper. Check any instructions that may be pasted to the drive,
or look on the web for the manufacturer's website, which will
probably tell you more than you want to know about the drive.
I find it most convenient to turn the termination OFF by default,
then mess around externally with terminators until I get it working,
then set the terminations on whatever devices require it. CAUTION!
This doesn't always work! There are rules about termination, but far
from being absolute, they should be regarded as suggestions.

SCSI ID - there must be only ONE device on a SCSI bus with each ID,
and don't use #7 - it's reserved for the CPU. Be careful when you
"swap it out" that you remember to set the SCSI value, or attach it
to the external thumwheel. If the present cable doesn't fit, you can
get an appropriate one from the manufacturer.

Dan Killoran