Subject: Re: tangent (was Re: upgrading to 1.4.2)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/2000 02:23:23
At 0:53 +0100 22/03/00, David Brownlee wrote:

>	/usr/pkg contains files installed by the package system,
>	/usr/local is for your manually installed files/applications.

I have adopted a style based on/inspired by the FHS "standard" (used by
Linux, I believe.) I naturally have package system installed applications
in /usr/pkg, but applications which I have compiled myself from original
sources, I keep in /opt/<appname>, with source in /opt/src/<appname>,
config files in /etc/opt/<appname>, and logs and stuff in
/var/opt/<appname>. For example /opt/apache, /opt/postgresql,
/opt/openldap. This scheme is supported by Apache, for example.

/usr/local I keep reserved for purely local stuff, and for perl, which I
just prefer to have there for unknown reasons.

Is anybody else using /opt? Perhaps you have hints for automatically adding
manpages from /opt/*/man/man*?

-Lasse