Subject: Re: upgrading to 1.4.2
To: Lloyd I Freese Jr <dwarf@Op.Net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2000 19:41:18
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Lloyd I Freese Jr wrote:

> 1- I'm thinking of upgrading to 1.4.2. Will I need to
> reinstall/rebuild the programs in /usr/pkg or will they still run
> okay?

If you're upgrading from 1.4.1, or even 1.4, they'll run fine. In most
cases, compiled m68k package binaries will be perfectly identical, and you
can even run 1.4.2 binaries on 1.4 (mostly). The package database has
changed somewhat, though, so if you build new packages that require old
packages, you may get a few odd warnings.

You can even run 1.3.3 binaries, if you've kept your old libraries, or if
you download and install the emulators/compat13 package. _And_, there's a
compat12 package, for anyone who needs that.

Of course, there are a lot of worthwhile upgrades in pkgsrc itself, but
you can always upgrade the packages at your leisure.