Subject: Re: tangent (was Re: upgrading to 1.4.2)
To: Tom Tarka <tommy@mp3.com>
From: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2000 16:34:36
As far as I can remember, here's how thing work:
One of the things that distinguishes most forms of unix is how/where you
install your software. Essentially, there's two types of Unix, System V,
and BSD. Most types borrow aspects from both types.
On some flavours, installed software goes in /usr/local/. Also, the
locations of certain programs varries as well. Some flavours (IRIX for eg)
has its 'core BSD' programs in /usr/ucb

In NetBSD, installed software goes in /usr/pkg

Erik Huizing			4th year Computer Science
huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca	Office: MS 142 Ph: 220-5768
http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~huizing