Subject: Re: Slow IPNat
To: Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@home.com>
From: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/2000 09:30:51
 Success! I've got my NetBSD Centris hooked up and running at decent
speeds now. Downloaded some packages from ftp.netbsd.org at 75-150k/sec so
I'm happy. My machine isn't setup to do ipf/NAT yet, but this is an
encouraging first step.

The only thing different that I've done is started with a fresh
installation of etc.tgz, then added some stuff to dhclient.conf:
script "/etc/dhclient-script";

interface "ae0" {
  send host-name "cs495859-a";
}

and rc.conf:
dhclient=YES
dhclient_flags="ae0"

and everything is working fine now. What really stumps me is that the only
real difference (aside from ipf/ipnat being off) is the dhclient script
doesn't have an alias section.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Matthew Navarre wrote:

> yeah, at this point i'm inclined to think the problem is due to some weird
> interaction between @home and NetBSD. I did some testing with connections
> from the netBSD box straight to the @home network, and well, it took a good
> fifteen minutes for lynx to finish loading slashdot, and around the same
> amount of time to download MacInTouch. Obviously this level of performance
> is not acceptable, and, considering I routinely saw transfer rates
> >200k/second to certain reasonably fast sites with both the Debian and The
> MacOS 8.5 boxen, I would tend to think NetBSD is at least part of the
> problem. This being said, I don't know what to even try to fix it(or where
> to start,which means it's time to hunker down with tcpdump and the relevant
> FMs). I tend to agree with Erik that just getting acceptable performance
> from an @home is the first step and then we can figure out where to go from
> there. comments, suggestions, and especially data points from others
> running NetBSD on @home are apprecited

Erik Huizing			4th year Computer Science
huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca	Office: MS 142 Ph: 220-5768
http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~huizing