Subject: Re: [OT] Signals at mini DIN 8
To: gkrall <gkrall@pmi-kc.com>
From: kaz-k) <kazk@yyy.or.jp (Kazuyoshi Kato>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/2000 06:28:14
> Here Is what my manual says on the matter of video signals:
>
> Note: this is the end of the monitor cable that plugs into you video
> source.
>
>   ___________________
>   \ . . . . . . . .1/
>  0 \ . . . . . . .9/ 0
>     ---------------
>
> This is a 15 pin miniature D-type connector
> +--------+--------------------+
> | Pin  | Output signal      |
> +--------+--------------------+
> | 1      | Red video ground   |
> | 2      | Red video          |
> | 3      | Not Used           |
> | 4      | ID 1               |
> | 5      | Green Video        |
> | 6      | Green video ground |
> | 7      | ID 2               |
> | 8      | Not Used           |
> | 9      | Blue Video         |
> | 10     | ID 3               |
> | 11     | V Sync Return      |
> | 12     | V Sync             |
> | 13     | Blue Video Ground  |
> | 14     | H Sync Return      |
> | 15     | H sync             |
> | Shell  | Sheild ground      |
> +--------+--------------------+
>
> +-------------+------------+-------------+------------+
> | Mode        | Resolution | V-refresh Hz| H-scan Khz |
> +-------------+------------+-------------+------------+
> | VGA         | 640x480    | 59.95       | 31.47      |
> | Macintosh   | 640x480    | 66.7        | 35.0       |
> | VESA        | 640x480    | 75          | 37.5       |
> | VESA        | 800x600    | 75          | 37.5       |
> | SVGA        | 800x600    | 55.98       | 35.16      |
> | 800x600     | 800x600    | 60          | 37.8       |
> | Macintosh   | 832x624    | 75          | 49.73      |
> | Macintosh   | 1024x768   | 75          | 60.2       |
> | 1024x768    | 1024x768   | 60          | 48.3       |
> +-------------+------------+-------------+------------+
>
> The mini din port next to the monitor cable is, according to the manual:
> "Service ports and switches (Do Not Use.)"  Since this is a digital
> monitor this port was probably plugged in at the factory into some
> device for automatic configuration.  Thus reducing the labor of one
> guy/gal with a plastic tuning screwdriver.
>
> The extra ports on the base of the monitor acts as an extension bus for
> ADB, Mic level microphone, and head phone jack.  You never had to access
> the back of your box to try out a new mouse, keyboard, headphone or
> speaker.  It was all accessable at the monitor base...wonderful!  Not to
> mention the crisp output of the flat Trinitron tube.
>
> I think this is one of the best thought out products Apple ever made.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Gerald

Hi, sorry for delayed response.

Thanks for your info.

I tried to use the monitor with Sun by following connections, though it
didn't work...
Seems Sun requires composite sync signal, however the monitor doesn't
support it.
Too bad, I have to get another monitor for Sun and place it in my small
room where is almost full with computer related junks....  :-(

monitor           VGA adaptor         Sun
(14)Sync GND ------ (10) ------------ (1)(7)(10)Srial Read, Write, GND
(15)Hort Sync <---- (13) <----------< (5)(6) Comp Sync, Hort Sync
(12)Vert Sync <---- (14) <----------< (2) Vert Sync

-- kaz-k