Subject: Re: Slow IPNat
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/2000 03:01:07
yeah, at this point i'm inclined to think the problem is due to some weird
interaction between @home and NetBSD. I did some testing with connections
from the netBSD box straight to the @home network, and well, it took a good
fifteen minutes for lynx to finish loading slashdot, and around the same
amount of time to download MacInTouch. Obviously this level of performance
is not acceptable, and, considering I routinely saw transfer rates
>200k/second to certain reasonably fast sites with both the Debian and The
MacOS 8.5 boxen, I would tend to think NetBSD is at least part of the
problem. This being said, I don't know what to even try to fix it(or where
to start,which means it's time to hunker down with tcpdump and the relevant
FMs). I tend to agree with Erik that just getting acceptable performance
from an @home is the first step and then we can figure out where to go from
there. comments, suggestions, and especially data points from others
running NetBSD on @home are apprecited

--
Matthew Navarre                    mnavarre@home.com
Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology...