Subject: Re: Slow IPNat
To: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: Ben Mesander <bam@dimensional.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/2000 18:08:28
>> I've got ipnat running on my IIci however it is unusably slow running
>> anything on the machines on the internal network. I'm seeing transfer rates
>> averaging ~450 bytes per second on a cable modem. in netscape pages start
>> to load then stall for 30 seconds to several hours. same problem with
>> telnet, ftp etc.
>>
>> does anyone have any idea why ipnat is this pathetically slow?

I had/have a similar problem with a Linux box running IP masquerading. I
wrote up what I found on one of my web pages:

http://neurosis.hungry.com/~ben/software/home-network.html

Scroll down to the section "Macintosh TCP/IP performance problems with
Linux IP masquerade"

I tried posting to usenet, but got a lot of "Dude, read the F***ing HOWTO"
type responses. Basically, what I think is happening in my case with Linux
is described on that page. I'm not sure my theory is right. Maybe the same
thing is happening with NetBSD NAT as Linux IPMasq. I can't easily test
this with NetBSD myself due to my hardware setup. I poked around at RFC's
and couldn't figure out the right thing for a NAT implementation to do in
this case. Any comments?

--Ben