Subject: Re: EtherNet NB and IIci
To: None <ewinkler@erols.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2000 19:32:29
>  I recommend one of the Asante Maccon ethernet cards.
> These work great with NetBSD.

So do I, with one caveat: there appears to be a newer revision of the card
with smaller chips and less components on it, which does not like my fast
ethernet switch, but only when the RJ45 port is used.

I can connect the ae0 card to a regular 10baseT hub with RJ45 cables and it
works, but if I connect it to the NetGear FS108 that way, the switch shows
no link light and the ae0 card blinks its green light as if it's getting
some kind of problem.

Fortunately a cheap used AUI-RJ45 transceiver ($15 at Weird Stuff in Santa
Clara) fixed the problem, so I have my newer ae0 cards using transceivers
and they now talk to the switch just fine. (I got one of the models that
has a short DB15 cable hanging off, and that just barely plugs into the
back of the IIci case.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com