Subject: Re: 68040
To: Salvatore Mancini <salvatore@bellatlantic.net>
From: Jude Giampaolo <jude@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2000 17:44:29
At 5:39 PM -0500 3/12/00, Salvatore Mancini wrote:
>Hello
>
>I have a centris 650 motherboard with an lc 040 that I would like to put
>netbsd onto. I have a hurting quadra 950 also. I was wondering if there
>is a problem with putting the full 040 from the 950 into the centris.
>The 040 is listed in apple's database as being a 66mhz processor
>whereasthe centris runs at 25mhz. Is there a danger in doing this? Has
>anyone tried this or something similar?

There isn't any 66MHz '040. The processor in the Q950 is a 68040 at 33MHz
which may or may not work in the Centris (due to the way the '040 is
clocked). It should not casue any damage to either the processor or the
computer. You might want to see if you can change the oscillator in the
C650, it should run at 33Mhz with the new processor then. This will
effectivly make it a Q650/Q800.

--
Jude Giampaolo
jude@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu