Subject: Re: HELP! I feel like a newbie again
To: Robert Schmid <rschmid@skypoint.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2000 22:36:24
> HOWEVER, does anybody have any advice about disklabels?  I have a
> quantum drive which is mounted at /dev/sd1c but the core information
> from disklabel -r show that /dev/sd1g is formatted as 4.2BSD.  Is
> this OK?  Why couldn't I get it mounted at /dev/sd1g?  Why did all
> efforts to write a disklabel come to naught?  Am I just interpreting
> this wrong?

My advice is to use a (patched if necessary) version of Apple HD SC setup
to create your partition map. Create the root/swap/usr as AUX-whatever,
and NetBSD will recognize them as 'a', 'b' and 'g' automatically.
Use only 'a' 'b' and 'g' partitions; avoid the 'c' partition.

This is what I do, anyway, and I haven't had any problems with it.

The main thing I needed was INSTALLSBC, because some of my disks
(ancient quantum 232mb in particular) absolutely will not talk to
the ncr scsi driver long enough to extract all the 1.4.1 sets.
Fortunately 1.4.2 has that. Yay!

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com