Subject: Re: swap partition
To: David Dahl <david@ddahl.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2000 10:27:05
David Dahl wrote:
> hello:
>
> i set up a spare Q840av with 1.4.1. i put my swap partition on my scsi O drive,
> anbd the rest of the install on my scsi 4 drive. for some reason, i cannot get
> the os to see and use the swap partition.

if you do a 'disklabel sd0', what do you get back?

> i tried specifically setting it up with the booter, to no avail.

you need to change /etc/fstab to add the swap partition, i believe.  by
default, the kernel assumes that swap is on the 'b' partition of the same
disk as your root partition, so you need to update the fstab to tell it
where to look.  you could also compile your own kernel and nail down the
swap partition, but that's probably unnecessary.

> i also read that you are not soposed to format your swap partition with mkfs.  i
> did that as well.  how can i fix this?

it's not that you're not supposed to format your swap partition, it's that
you don't need to do so.  the type of filesystem on your swap partition
(if any) should be basically irrelevant.  the kernel should just directly
write whatever it needs to there.

> btw:  the machine is running quite well, apache is pretty fast and i want to get
> ePerl running.  has anone on this list installed and used ePerl on netbsd?
> how's the performance?

what's ePerl?  that's a new one :-)

-colin