Subject: improper dumping
To: NetBSD list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Merideth Johnston <merideth@sky.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/2000 07:09:12
whew.  the good news is, I got the /usr stuff moved to the partition I
wanted it in <yeah!!!! thank you , guys>  it wasn't exactly as directed,
but I was able to figure out a way with your suggestions.  I suspect the
installer is not too good with the > 1 gig partitions, either, though, as
it never did do the mounting right.  I ended up mounting the partition
after booting into NetBSD, and manually added a line for it in fstab.
(kind of tricky, if you don't know what everything means)  I'm not positive
I got it 100% right, but it must be pretty close, as it does boot up ok, as
far as mounting the usr partition goes.  <yipee>

the bad news is, the other partition sd0d is, well, wrong.  I know it's
wrong because it only has one file on it, and that is an empty directory,
yet df tells me it is 75% full (what _does_ it think is _in_ there?), and
more than twice as large as it's supposed to be!?!?  This makes me nervous.
I'd like to just reformat the thing and start over with it.  I've already
re-made the directory in question elsewhere, and wondered if I could do the
reformatting of that partition without using the little devil on it again,
as that did seem to have some problems with the large drive.  (I'm hoping
that is the cause of sd0d's pecular problem)  Can I instead just use
something from within NetBSD to reformat that partition?  (wiping out the
erroneous size thing, and all else - whatever that else is - with it)  The
size of it appears correct when listed with disklabel, so it seems to me it
would just be the contents, the file structure, that needs to be redone.

Then, there is a boot message that says it will do its dumps on sd1b....
which is the tiny Mac partition.  I'd guess that isn't a good place for it
to do its dumps, but I don't know where a good place would be for them, and
I can't seem to find where to change where it will do the dumps.  After it
says that, it says "configuring network interfaces", whereupon it says
"segmentation fault - core dumped" after which it says "savecore:
/netbsd:kvm_dump_mkheader:Pread: invalid argument"

<I swear, I didn't do anything but watch it boot itself.>

then, it says "ldconfig: /usr/pkg/lib: no such file or directory  Illegal
instruction - core dumped"  whereupon it has a Pread invalid argument with
itself again....

hmmmm.  I'm thinking all of that could be due to the incorrect dumping spot
first noted.

Lastly, for this installment of my Adventures in NetBSD land, in looking
for the place to specify a proper dumping ground, I found the file fstab.sd
which lists /dev/sd0a as the root partition - this is dangerously wrong.
sd0a is the partition I want to be untouched.  sd1a is the NetBSD root
partition.  I wanted to know what that file, fstab.sd, is used for, before
I go and change it, as it does seem to change itself, (it added sd0g to
itself) so changing it directly may not even work.

Oh yeah, while I'm thinking of it,  I've got some .core files around now in
various places, and wondered if they might be some of those mysterious
dumps, and if I could delete them - they vary in size, but some are fairly
large, and they seem to multiply like dust bunnies in the dark.

Merideth
merideth@sky.net     ;)-{8-->=     li'l wimyn      @-{--E=

http://www.sky.net/~merideth/ - visit my poetry page & art gallery
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9311 - genealogy site
http://www.anyboard.net/arts/artnpoetry/index.html - Art & Poetry Message
Board

*       *
                                                                           *
Don't weep for me because I will not know happiness, weep only if my
passion dies before I do.