Subject: Re: Improper cylinder configuration
To: None <merideth@sky.net, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2000 12:10:07
It doesn't mean you can't use up all that space, but it does mean that you
must be careful about planning your partitions and the order in which you
create your filesystems.

I usually make the first partition be a small Mac partition, no more than
60 MB.  That leaves plenty of room for a NetBSD root partition and a swap
partition, all within the 1GB limit.  (The Mac partition is first so that
the machine will boot.  I find that the disk is not recognized if the NetBSD
root partition is first.)

Then I create the NetBSD root partition, about 250 MB in size, and format
it with Mkfs, and then the swap partition.

After that, I divvy up the rest of the disk for whatever purposes I need.
Normally, I create just a usr partition, but I don't format it with Mkfs.
Instead, I boot NetBSD for the first time, and use newfs to set up that
filesystem and muck with the /etc/fstab file and mount point by hand.

--- Forwarded mail from merideth@sky.net

hmmmm.  could this be part of my problem, too?  Sorry, but I can't move the
4gig partition out - the space I have available is in the outer region, and
I've got 1.4 meg of that 4 gig filled up with Mac stuff already.  I got a 4
gig disk because they don't sell new disks any smaller than that
anymore.... Does this mean I can't use any of the available space on my
large hard drive?  I didn't see anything about it in the Readme's.  Of
course, I knew less then than I do now, so if I did see it, I might not
have sat up and taken notice.  If this is so, then I can just stop trying
to access it, and all my questions in my just-sent note are for naught.  (a
somewhat distressing state of affairs, as there is considerable space
available there)

--- End of forwarded message from merideth@sky.net