Subject: Re: partitions
To: port mac 68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Kadari Mayson <kmayson@viconet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2000 08:48:05
Hi Merideth, I have had nearly as much trouble with NetBSD as you have, I'd
like to direct your attention to this page:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq.html and particularly to
this entry: http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-4.html#ss4.12 .
Just yesterday, I posted a question regarding that SCSIRead error, and am in
the process of trying to fix it.  I have read other documentation where
things suggest that NetBSD can only handle up to 8 partitions in all
(including HFS partitions), and have had GREAT trouble properly partitioning
my drive for some ungodly reason.  It seems that the installer does not like
drives larger than 1GB either, so that seems to be strike two, also it
specifically says that the installer does not like Quantum Fireball drives
(geez, for me that's actually strike 3, I have a Quantum Fireball 1.25GB
drive dedicated to NetBSD).  Basically, the text says this is a bug in the
installer which, since the latest version of the Installer was completed
circa 1994, its not likely that a fix will be forthcoming.  It is apparently
much more difficult to configure NetBSD than the installer suggests, many
little things come to mind since I have been researching this over the past
3 weeks.  Its a 4+ hr install for me, and I have re-installed NetBSD on my
drives maybe 5 times in 5 different configurations.  I will try to answer
some more questions below.